You can use one of the workarounds listed below if you want to prevent your default printer from changing on Windows 10
Default Printer Keeps Changing on Windows 10
If your default printer keeps changing on your PC on Windows 10 then it can be a minor issue but still an annoying one and here are some issues reported by the users while speaking of printer problems
- Default printer keeps changing on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10- Even if you don't use Windows 10 this issue can appear on any version of Windows and you should be able to use most of the solutions provided below.
- Windows 7 default printer keeps changing to Adobe PDF- You just need to set your default printer if this problem happens on your PC and the issue should be resolved.
- After a reboot or log off the default printer keeps changing randomly- According to some users, the default printer changes randomly after logging off or rebooting. Make sure to update your driver as this might be caused by your driver.
- Default printer keeps reverting or switching back- Due to certain bugs in the system sometimes this issue may occur and you should be able to fix them by installing the latest updates.
Solution One- Turning Off the Let Windows Manage Default Printer Option
Windows 10 automatically manages your default printer and you might want to prevent Windows from managing your default printer if it keeps changing.
- Go to the settings option and then click on the device icon
- Click on the printer and scanner option on the left side and turn off the let Windows manage my default printer option.
Solution Two- Change the Setting of the Printer from the Registry Editor
The issue might be related to your registry if your default printer keeps changing and you can fix the problem simply by making a couple of changes in the registry editor
- Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard and type regedit
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows
- Select the LegacyDefaultPrinterMode option and set the value to 1.
Solution Three- For All Printers Uninstall the Printer Software
If the above-mentioned solution doesn't work out then you need to uninstall the drivers of the printer and install the latest driver version again. To uninstall the printer driver follow these steps
- To open the Win + X menu press the Windows key + X and choose device manager from the list of results.
- Right-click and choose Uninstall device from the menu after locating your printer drive but make sure that you reveal hidden devices if you can't find your printer.
- Select delete driver software from this device and then click on the uninstall option when the configuration dialogue appears.
- Restart your PC after doing that and the default driver will be installed again.
Solution Four- Check Your Power Cable and USB Cord
The issues with the default printer can also occur due to the problems with cables so make sure to check if your cables are working properly or not if your default printer keeps changing on your PC.
Sometimes your USB or power cable might be broken, which can lead to these issues so carefully inspect the cables and make sure that your printer is constantly connected to your PC.